Feed expander for high-temperature and short-time (HTST) conditioning
Choosing the correct pre-treatment of compounds can be crucial for the feed output. Feed expanders are capable of improving the production process flow, as well as the quality of the feed pellets.
High-temperature and short-time (HTST) conditioning is a process primarily used for the pre-treatment and conditioning of livestock feed. A traditional cascade mixer is applied to heat the temperature of the compound to 80–90° C by means of steam. The compound is then conditioned in the feed expander through a kneading process under high pressure, which results in further increase of the compound’s temperature.
Advantages of the feed expander
- Improved physical pellet quality, fewer fines
- Elimination of bacteria, mold etc.
- Improved activation of natural binders inherent in raw materials
- Possibility of adding larger amounts of liquid additives, i.e. fat or molasses, through which pellet coating may become unnecessary
- Improved digestibility of the feed pellets
- Reduction of growth inhibitors
- Improved feed rate
- Improved starch cook
ANDRITZ FEED & BIOFUEL A/S
Phone: +45 (72) 160 300Contact us
Phone: +1 (570) 546 1253Contact us