History of ANDRITZ Sundwig

Steps along the way …

The beginnings of ANDRITZ Sundwig go back to the year 1689, when the entrepreneur Johann Bernhard von der Becke began using a forge built back in 1618 in Sundwig, Germany, to manufacture buckles. In 1864, the firm expanded by setting up an iron foundry and machine works and has continued its development to become the present day company. ANDRITZ acquired 75% of the limited partnership interest in Sundwiger-Eisenhütte Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. in 1998.

ANDRITZ Sundwig GmbH’s product range today comprises turnkey systems for production and processing of cold-rolled strip made of stainless steel, coated metals, non-ferrous metals, and special materials.

Milestones in the development of ANDRITZ Sundwig

1930 acquires licence to manufacture multi-roll rolling mills as developed by Professor Rohn, the origin of the SUNDWIG 20-high rolling mill in 4-column design that is built today
1955 supplies the first annealing and pickling line
1960 first 20-high rolling mill in 4-column design
1971 first bright-annealing line
1976 supplies the entire equipment for a complete cold rolling mill
1987 supplies a high-performance slitting line for aluminum, with strip speeds up to 1,000 m/min
1990 start-up of the world’s largest hot-dip galvanizing line
1990 start-up of the world’s largest Z-high reducing mill at the inlet to an annealing and pickling line for hot-rolled strip
1995 supplies the world’s largest annealing and painting line, with a strip width of 2,300 mm and 3 mm thickness
1997 largest 20-high rolling mill in 4-column design with a strip width of 1,625 mm
2006/2007   supplies the top-performance cut-to-length line for 25.4 mm strip thickness and 2,130 mm strip width
2007 start-up of the world’s largest annealing and pickling line for cold-rolled strip, with a width of 2,100 mm and 8 mm thickness
2009 supplies the largest Sundwig precision leveling machine for hot-rolled plates up to 60 mm thickness and a width of 3,800 mm
 - servertoken