ANDRITZ GROUP: solid business development in the first quarter of 2012International technology Group ANDRITZ saw a favorable business development during the first quarter of 2012:
- Sales of the ANDRITZ GROUP amounted to 1,185.7 MEUR – an increase of 28.4% compared to the reference figure for the previous year (Q1 2011: 923.7 MEUR). All business areas, particularly PULP & PAPER, achieved significant increases in sales.
- Order intake amounted to 1,361.2 MEUR. Although declining by 18.3% compared to the very high figure of last year’s reference period (Q1 2011: 1,666.0 MEUR), which included a major PULP & PAPER order, the order intake nevertheless reached a favorably high level.
- The order backlog as of March 31, 2012 rose by 5.3% compared to the end of the previous year, reaching 7,034.7 MEUR (December 31, 2011: 6,683.1 MEUR).
- The EBITA in the first quarter of 2012 amounted to 72.5 MEUR, thus increasing – in line with sales – by 29.2% compared to the previous year’s reference value (Q1 2011: 56.1 MEUR). The EBITA margin (profitability), at 6.1%, remained unchanged compared to the first quarter of 2011 (6.1%).
- Net income (excluding non-controlling interests) amounted to 50.5 MEUR and was thus significantly above the reference figure for the previous year (+36.5% vs. Q1 2011: 37.0 MEUR).
- The net worth position and capital structure as of March 31, 2012 remained solid. The equity ratio amounted to 19.5% (December 31, 2011: 20.6%). The liquid funds (cash and cash equivalents plus marketable securities plus loans against borrowers’ notes) amounted to 1,730.3 MEUR (December 31, 2011: 1,814.5 MEUR). Net liquidity (liquid funds plus fair value of interest rate swaps minus financial liabilities) amounted to 1,301.4 MEUR (December 31, 2011: 1,400.6 MEUR).
President and CEO Wolfgang Leitner comments on the expected development for the coming months: “We currently see solid project activity in all markets that ANDRITZ serves. Only in the METALS business area we expect the moderate development to continue.” On the basis of these expectations and the very high order backlog, the ANDRITZ GROUP expects an increase in sales and net income in 2012 compared to 2011.
– End –
The interim financial report for the first quarter of 2012 is available online and as download at www.andritz.com. Printed copies can be requested by telephone (+43 316 6902 2722), fax (+43 316 6902 465), or by e-mail ( email@example.com).
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Michael Buchbauer
Head of Group Treasury, Corporate Communications & Investor Relations
Phone: +43 (316) 6902 2979
The ANDRITZ GROUP
International technology Group ANDRITZ is a globally leading supplier of plants, equipment, and services for hydropower stations, the pulp and paper industry, solid-liquid separation in the municipal and industrial sectors, the steel industry, and the production of animal feed and biomass pellets. In addition, ANDRITZ offers technologies for certain other sectors including automation, pumps, machinery for nonwovens and plastic films, steam boiler plants, biomass boilers and gasification plants for energy generation, flue gas cleaning plants, plants for the production of panelboards (MDF), thermal sludge utilization, and torrefaction plants. The publicly listed ANDRITZ GROUP is headquartered in Graz, Austria and has a staff of approximately 17,000 employees worldwide. ANDRITZ operates over 180 production sites, service, and sales companies all around the world.
Certain statements contained in this press release constitute "forward-looking statements”. These statements, which contain the words ‘believe’, ‘intend’, ‘expect’, and words of a similar meaning, reflect the Executive Board’s beliefs and expectations and are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially. As a result, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. The Company disclaims any obligation to publicly announce the result of any revisions to the forward-looking statements made herein, except where it would be required to do so under applicable law.