ANDRITZ Biax line for BOPET film production
BOPET (Biaxially Oriented Polyethylene Terephthalate) film has excellent physical properties and is used for a wide variety of products.
BOPET film represent the second largest segment (by volume) in the biaxially oriented film market. BOPET is used as plain, co-extruded, or quite often inline coated, treated, clear, or matte film in:
- Industrial and special applications
Characteristics and applications
BOPET's appeal for packaging applications is its puncture and tear resistance; thermal stability; chemical resistance; oxygen and water barrier (with surface coating); clarity; shrinkability; good adhesion for coatings, inks, and metals; and its sealability. The material is ideal for stand-up pouches, lids, peelable seals, microwavable food packaging, metallized high barrier packaging, can lamination, labels, gift wrapping and holographic packaging.
In industry, BOPET is applied as a glass protection layer, sheet metal protection, adhesive tapes and films, sails, thermal insulation, emergency blankets, X-ray films, and visual and telescopic solar filters. BOPET has high thermal and moisture dimensional stability, broad light transmission, high tensile strength, and chemical resistance.
Because of its dimensional stability, high dielectric constant, and coefficient of friction, BOPET film (either by itself or laminated with other materials) is ideal for many electrical applications such as capacitors, motor insulation, cable and wire barriers, conductor wrapping, insulation for solar panels, functional layers in LCD displays, loudspeaker diaphragms, and base material for flexible PC boards.
The excellent optical and surface properties, non-aging qualities, and long shelf life make BOPET the preferred material for applications such as decorative panels, backlights, roll signs, microfilms, drafting/reprographics, plots and drawings, map overlays, and laminates.
Due to its clarity, transparency, and thermal stability, BOPET is used for decoration or numbering on textiles, papers and plastics through hot stamping and thermo transfer processes. BOPET is also used for metallized and/or coated decorative yarns and confetti.
Whatever the application, ANDRITZ Biax supplies tailored BOPET film lines to meet each customer's specific requirements – whether it is high-output commodity production or a line for special film applications.
ANDRITZ Biax technology for BOPET film production
High-output lines can be supplied with capacities up to 32,000 tons/year, widths up to 8,700 mm, speeds up to 450 m/min, and thickness ranges from 6-75 µ.
Lines for capacitor or thin films are available with widths up to 8,000 mm and thickness ranges of 3 to15.
Special lines for thick films are available (capacities 50-300 tons/year).
- Tailored raw material systems, dilute or dense-phase conveying, twin-screw extrusion systems with degassing, TEG washer for main and co-extrusion, inline coating, inline edge trim return, high-precision melt pumps, and large area disk filters.
- Energy-reducing vapor-heated melt pipes provide optimum temperature uniformity of +/- 0.5 °C.
- Casting is accomplished with an automatic single-layer die with feed block, or a multi-layer die. A backlash-free chill roll drive is combined with a high-speed electrostatic band pinning system mounted in a vibration-free frame.
- Individually driven, water-heated, specially coated MDO surface rolls allow precise heat treatment of the film, even when sensitive materials are processed. Single- or two-gap stretching is performed according to requirements. The line has easy access for cleaning and maintenance.
- The TDO features a high-speed, fully flexible monorail chain track system with nine roller bearing clips. The track system is driven via inlet and outlet sprockets. An advanced oven with heat recovery is utilized.
- The pull roll stand has direct-driven rolls and includes a high-precision X-ray film measurement system with fast mapping of die bolts. Edge trimming and corona treatment are included.
- A moving winder frame maintains a constant winding angle. It is automatically controlled to ensure the production of wrinkle-free, straight edge jumbo rolls.
- An advanced control system, fully redundant and reliable, is included. Profibus DP intercommunication and Ethernet allow user-friendly and easy operation.
ANDRITZ Biax also offers a wide range of downstream equipment, such as mill roll handling and storage, primary and secondary slitting, and recycling solutions for BOPET plants.
If desired, a complete turnkey solution for BOPET film production can be provided.
ANDRITZ Biax BOPET film line
|Line width up to||mm||8,700|
|Line speed up to||m/min||450|
|Output capacity up to||tons/year||32,000|
BOPET film characteristics
|Wide range of applications||High tensile strength|
|Very good printability||Chemical, mechanical and thermal stability|
|Good isolation characteristics||Excellent clarity|
|Superior film quality||Very good electrical isolator|
|Excellent surface treatment potential||Virtually no water absorption|
|Excellent barrier features|