ANDRITZ Biax line for production of BOPP films
BOPP (Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene) has become a high-growth film material due to its extreme versatility.
BOPP films are extremely versatile and used in a wide range of applications:
- Plain films
- Heat sealable films
- Multi-layer films
- Metallized films
- Pearlized films
- Synthetic paper
- White opaque films
- Label films
- Shrink films
- High barrier films
- Capacitor films
Characteristics and applications
With a number of desirable qualities (transparency, stiffness, shrinkage, sealability, barrier and twist retention, printability, chemical and abrasion resistance, coatability, metalizing and lamination ability, etc.) hundreds of variants of BOPP films can be found in the market.
Packaging BOPP film
BOPP has become the most popular type of packaging film for food items, labels, non-food items, and general packaging.
Technical BOPP film
BOPP is also widely used in technical applications like capacitors, adhesive and decorating tapes, cable wrapping, insulation, and so on.
Laminated BOPP film
Laminated BOPP products are used for paper printed materials, labels, stickers, posters, maps, tags, and cards.
Metalized BOPP film
Metallization offers protection against UV rays and an excellent barrier against moisture and oxygen for snacks, coffee, or potato chips.
High barrier BOPP film
High barrier films for highly perishable food items are produced in connection with other materials such as EVOH or PA in seven- or nine-layer configurations.
Whatever the application, ANDRITZ Biax supplies tailor-made BOPP lines to meet each customer's specific requirements – whether it is high-output commodity production or a line for special applications.
ANDRITZ Biax BOPP film production
Conventional high output lines with capacities of up to 42,000 t/a, width up to 10,000 mm, speeds up to 500 m/min, and thickness ranges from 10-80 µ.
Lines for capacitor films with capacities up to 5,000 t/a, widths up to 6,000 mm, speeds up to 300 m/min, and thickness ranges from 3 to12 µ.
Multi-layer lines for high barrier films with up to nine layers.
- Tailored raw material systems and optimized twin- or single-screw extrusion systems with inline edge trim recycling.
- Energy-reducing vapor-heated melt pipes provide optimum temperature uniformity.
- Casting is accomplished with a fast changeover feed block die system or multi-layer die. A backlash-free chill roll drive is combined with a high-level extended water bath.
- Individually driven and vapor-heated MDO rolls ensure precise heat treatment of the film, even when sensitive materials are processed. The MDO is designed for multi-gap stretching and easy access for cleaning and maintenance.
- The TDO features a high-speed, fully flexible monorail chain track system with driven inlet and outlet sprockets. It is combined with an advanced oven with heat recovery.
- The pull roll stand has direct-driven rolls and includes a high-precision X-ray film measurement system with fast mapping of die bolts. Edge trimming and corona treatment are included.
- The winder maintains a constant angle and is automatically controlled to ensure production of wrinkle-free jumbo rolls.
- An advanced control system, fully redundant and reliable, is included. Profibus DP intercommunication and Ethernet allow user-friendly and easy operation.
ANDRITZ Biax also offers a wide range of downstream equipment, such as mill roll handling and storage, primary and secondary slitting, and recycling solutions for BOPP plants.
If desired, a complete turnkey solution for BOPP film production can be provided.
ANDRITZ Biax lines: BOPP, synthetic paper, and capacitor film
|BOPP line||Capacitor film line|
|Thickness range||µm||10-80 (synthetic paper up to 180)||3-12|
|Line width up to||mm||10,000||6,000|
|Line speed up to||m/min||500||300|
|Output capacity up to||tons/year||42,000||5,000|
BOPP film characteristics
|World's #1 for quality packaging||Low density|
|Wide range of applications||Environmentally friendly|
|Highly versatile||Good barrier properties|
|Excellent processing qualities||Excellent mechanical and optical characteristics|