Skin pass mills inline/offline
Used to improve the material properties, strip shape, and surface of finished strip.
Depending on customer requirements, the skin pass mill is mainly used in steel and stainless steel applications in either wet or dry processes.
- Due to the smaller work roll diameter in 4-high mills, this type of mill is generally used for inline applications. The 2-high mill type is mainly used in offline applications. Depending on customer requirements, the SPM is used in either wet or dry processes. Both systems (2- and 4-high) can be equipped with bending actuators for the work roll to influence the flatness of the strip. SPMs are mainly used in steel and stainless steel applications.
Strengths and benefits of skin pass mills
- Rolling technology for highest quality standards
- Proven and sophisticated design
- Highest standards regarding process technology, reliability, and maintenance
- Deformation-optimized housing geometry
- Mill-fixed work roll bending (Mae West block) – positive and negative (4-high)
- Automatic passline adjustment
- Pre-commissioning at ANDRITZ Sundwig workshop
- Twin drive system
- Hydraulic long-stroke cylinder for roll force
- Work roll can be changed while the strip is running (inline application)
Corresponding E&A models
- Strip thickness control
- Strip flatness control
- Roll force model (Ford, Ellis, Bland, Hitchcock)
- Strip temperature model
- Strip flatness model
- Pass scheduling program
- Long-term pass schedule and mill pre-set optimization program