ANDRITZ Hydro in Canada
ANDRITZ Hydro is one of the leading global suppliers of electromechanical equipment and services for hydropower plants.
ANDRITZ Hydro has been operating in the hydraulic power generation sector for more than 180 years. Special application pumps and turbo generators are further fields of activity.
News May 2022:
Abitibi Canyon, Canada
In commercial operation
Additional activities of ANDRITZ Hydro in Canada comprise sales, project management, procurement, installation and commissioning of electro-mechanical equipment of hydropower plants. ANDRITZ Hydro can supply all types of turbines up to 800 MW and more, generators up to 950 MVA and more, butterfly valves, spherical valves, gates, auxiliary equipment (automation, protection, excitation, governor, SCADA). ANDRITZ Hydro is also a leading company in maintenance (Service & Rehab) and small hydro water-to-wire products (Compact Hydro).
ANDRITZ Hydro employs approximately 500 highly qualified and experienced persons in Canada.
ANDRITZ Hydro is located in six Canadian facilities:
Pointe-Claire (QC) - Canadian Hydro Head Office
- Operating in the hydraulic power generation sector for more than 170 years
- Employs 200 highly qualified and experienced persons in Compact Hydro (CH), Large Hydro (LH), Service & Rehab (SR)
- Worldwide hydraulic center of competence for Francis and diagonal turbine technology
- Worldwide excellence center for large Francis turbines
Chambly (QC) - Hydro Automation & Electrical Power Systems
- Design Engineering in-house: Automation & SCADA Systems, Protection & Control, Governor & Exciter Systems
- Integrates medium voltage switchgear and station services equipment
- 100% in-house panel manufacturing & testing
- 10,000 square foot facility
- Installation & commissioning
- Employs 80 highly qualified and experienced persons
Paris (ON) - Gates Engineering & Manufacturing Plant
- Complete engineering for the design of majority of gates types, stop logs, trash racks, embedded components and hoists
- Fabrication is performed by certified skilled trades
- Complete installation, commissioning and technical advisory services
Boucherville - P&G Service and Rehab Specialists
ANDRITZ Hydro’s facility in Boucherville, established as HMI Construction Inc. (HMI), has more than 65 years of experience in the energy sector, especially in the hydropower industry.
Peterborough (ON) - Generator Center
The generator engineering located in Peterborough is the ANDRITZ excellence center for low speed generators greater than 50 MVA.
- Generator design (electro-magnetic & mechanical)
- Multi-turn stator coil and bars manufacturing facility - press cured insulation technology
- 17,000 square foot facility
Lachine (QC) - Hydraulic Laboratory
ANDRITZ Hydro Canada Inc. in Lachine (QC) is a well equipped and world class instrumented hydraulic lab, with:
- 2 Hydraulic test stands, unique in Canada, including model manufacturing
- Integrated into the global R&D program, with mandate for Francis turbines
- Develop, manufacture and test models to international standards (IEC)
Richmond (BC) - Regional Office
- Regional Sales & Project, Management Office
- Engineers for Compact Hydro (CH), Large Hydro (LH), Service & Rehab (SR), Automation (AUT) business units
- Focused on serving Western Canada Clients
ANDRITZ Hydro in Canada completed recent projects in Canada, such as Wuskwatim (3 x 66 MW propeller units) in Manitoba, Lower Mattagami (approx. 3 x 72 MW diagonal units) in Ontario, Forrest Kerr (9 x 21.5 MW Francis units) in British Columbia, GM Shrum Poles 1-5 refurbishment in British Columbia, Wells stator rewind in Ontario, EB Campbell Units 7 & 8 Turbine, Generator and Gates refurbishment in Saskatchewan, Beechwood Kaplan turbine refurbishment in New Brunswick. In Quebec, recent projects include Bersimis 2 turbine refurbishment, Toulnustouc spherical valve works, Rapides 2 tension converter, Manic 1 static excitation, La Tuque 5 static excitation, Beauharnois static excitation and turbine refurbishment works.
Our worldwide installed-based equipment also recently included Nam Theun 2 in Laos (4 x 247 MW Francis and 2 x 43 MW Pelton units, Balance of Plant), Yixing in China (4 x 250 MW pump units, Balance of Plant), and John H Kerr in USA (6 x 46 MW Francis turbine, rewind and Balance of Plant refurbishment).
ANDRITZ Hydro at a glimpse
ANDRITZ Hydro is one of the globally leading suppliers of electromechanical equipment and services for hydropower plants. With over 180 years of experience and an installed fleet of more than 471 GW output, the business area provides complete solutions for hydropower plants of all sizes as well as services for plant diagnosis, refurbishment, modernization and upgrade of existing hydropower assets. Pumps for irrigation, water supply and flood control as well as turbo generators are also part of this business area’s portfolio.
- More than 180 years of turbine experience
- Over 31,900 turbines (more than 471,000 MW) installed
- Complete range up to more than 800 MW
- Over 125 years electrical equipment experience
- Leading in service and rehabilitation
- More than 100 Compact hydro units per year